Art Gallery Openings and Exhibitions and Events in NYC
|New York Art World ® - Artists - ** Current Shows 2017 **|
September thru November 2002
- November 3 thru December 2, 2002 - The Grey Art Gallery at New York University located at 100 Washington Square East, NYC 10003. NYU Grey Art Gallery director Lynn Gumpert will be on hand for the gallery's new series of First Wednesday Salons - informal gatherings held on the first Wednesday of each month that the gallery is open to the public. Please join her and her guests in conversations about our current exhibition - Between Word and Image: Modern Iranian Visual Culture - which features modern Iranian paintings and sculpture of the 1960s and 70s, from the NYU Art Collection, documentary photographs by Abbas, and street posters from the 1979 Revolution.
- November 3 thru December 2, 2002 - Your Future in Your Dreams: Photographs by Nikki Johnson with a title taken from Chapter's 5 in a 1942 book called "Fortune Telling for Fun and Popularity" Y.F.I.Y.D. features images from photographer Nikki Johnson's work lensed over the last five years. It is a rogue's gallery of portraits of friends and strangers, still life, and street photography. The Brecht Forum at 122 West 27th Street, 10 Floor between 6th & 7th Avenues, NYC 10001 RECEPTION: Sunday Nov. 3rd from 2 to 5pm
- November 5 thru 16, 2002 - "Mark Lerer: New Work" at the New Century Artists Gallery, 530 West 25th between 10th and 11th Avenues, NYC. Mark Lerer's work is on view: drawings of subjects ranging from cityscapes to Rodin sculptures to the suffering people of Afghanistan to comicbook superheroes, done in the artist's distinctive pencil style. RECEPTION: Saturday, November 9th from 3 to 6pm.
- November 5 thru November 30, 2002 - Janet Glazer is showing Barcelona & The Pyreness at her sold photographic exhibition at New Century Artists, 530 W 25 St. RECEPTION: Saturday Nov 9 from 3-6pm.
- November 5 , 2002 - Jonathan Santlofer at the Whitney Museum of American Art, at 945 Madison at East 75th Street, NYC. Artist and author Jonathan Santlofer reads from his first novel, The Death of an Artist (Harper Collins, 2002), a literary thriller set in the contemporary art world. The reading is accompanied by a slide presentation of the artworks that influenced his novel. Santlofer has received 2 grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, has been a Visiting Artist at the Vermont Studio Center, a fellow at the American Academy in Rome, and is a member of the Board of Directors of Yaddo. Public Program. READING: Tuesday, November 5 from 5 to 8pm..
- November 7 thru December 7, 2002 - Don Perlis is showing Interiors & Exteriors, his most recent paintings, at Denise Bibro Fine Art, located at 529 West 20th Street, 4th Floor, Chelsea, NYC. RECEPTION: Thursday, November 7 from 6-8pm.
- November 7 thru November 10, 2002 - The 12th Annual Print Fair featuring 87 Print Dealers will be held at the 7th Regiment Armory, at Park Avenue at 67th Street, NYC. EVENT: Thursday November 7 thru November 10, 2002. PREVIEW: November 6 from 5 to 9pm.
- November 7 thru December 22, 2003 - The Burston Gallery is pleased to announce the first solo exhibition of emerging artist John Monteith. This artist has been generating a buzz in New York and Paris through a recent article about his work in DOJO Magazine. The show is entitled John Monteith Paintings 2000 - 2002. The gallery is located at 1092 Queen Street in West Toronto, Ontario M6J 1H9 RECEPTION: Thursday November 7 from 7 to 11pm.
- November 8 thru November 30, 2002 - Muriel Rodolosse is showing her peinture, photographie, video at Galerie Guislain - Etats d' Art, located at 35, Rue Guenegaud 75006 Paris. galerie.guislain@ wanadoo.fr RECEPTION: November 7 at 8pm (18h).
- November 9 thru December 8, 2003 - The Rockaway Artists Alliance presents The Russians are Here, a the Rockaway Arts Center, Fort Tilden, Rockaway, Queens. The Russians Are Here showcases the diverse artistry of 10 Russian members exploring the similar motives and impulses that bind and shape the artistic expressions of these compatriots who have chosen the U.S.A. as their home. Though varied, one is able to discern through much of this work, the highly poetic and intelligent; the iconographic; the weaving of symbols and figures of mythology and religion. Whether subtly or boldly, the impulse of freedom frequently flows through these works ñ either as an undercurrent or as a surging river. The Russians Are Here explores the Russian artistic experience in this country through the work of 10 artists. Nourished by both common and distinct roots and flourishing in the freedom of this country. Participating artists: Julia Koslyansky, Helen Lurye, Robin Pogrebitskiy, Alexander Richter, Dmitry Romanofsky, Izabella Slobodoff, Gita Vavelenkova, Yuri Yurov, Eugene Zanis, Victor Zinuhov. RECEPTION: Sunday, November 10, 1-3 pm at Studio 6 Gallery, Fort Tilden, Rockaway, Queens.
- November 10 2002 - Russian American Writers read and talk about the immigrant experience From Russia With Love - Reading at a Lower East Side Landmark. The Eldridge Street Project is located at 12 Eldridge Street, east of the Bowery, between Canal and Division Streets. Turovsky is the editor of Balaklava, an online journal of contemporary Russian poetry in translation. The Reading: The mother land. The new land. The tsoris. The absurdities of the intersections of two worlds and that particular tension between pre-revolutionary Russia, where so many Jewish immigrants hailed, and New York. The romance of Russia, from its religious communities to its socialist revolutionaries, lingers in contemporary imaginings of the Russian immigrant experience. Event: Sunday November 10 at 2pm
- November 9 thru December 21, 2002 - Safe-T-Gallery presents Half-Asian by Benjamin Sloat and Steve Aishman, an exploration of mutable identity. How do men and women who are personal bridges between formerly disparate groups of peoples represent themselves? Can you change how Asian or how European or African you look by changing the backdrop of a photograph, or your accessories, hairstyle or state of mind? These 2 men photographed more than 100 half-Asian people. New Yorkers who are themselves half-Asian can become part of this series during portrait sessions to be held at the Safe-T-Gallery. Hours: Friday and Saturday 1 to 6. Safe-T-Gallery is located at 134 Bayard St. near Williamsburg and Greenpoint, Brooklyn, between Manhattan and Graham Avenue.
- Friday, November 15, 2003 - Gallery Talk by Linda Cummings and Nancy Olson MD, entitled Looking In/Looking Out: Psychoanalysis and Photography, at Paul Sharpe Contemporary Art - PSCA at 86 Walker St, NYC 10013. Event: Friday, November 15, at 7pm.
- November 21 thru January 11, 2003 - The New York Studio School, at 8 West 8th Street, NYC 10011, presents Vincent Barre - recent sculpture and a monumental wall drawing by the French abstract artist, curated by Karen Wilkin. Hours: Mon-Sat from 10-6pm.
- November 22 thru December 4, 2002 - Joy Gilinsky Monte will have her first one-woman show, Mythguidedat the Marquis Gallery in Manhattan's National Arts Club, 15 Grammercy Park South, NYC. Monte's paintings, informed by personal and universal myth, represent her passion, angst and whimsy. They incorporate issues of confrontation, self-realization and empowerment in a woman's voice on a journey of discovery. The tension between dark and light is vibrantly played out in such works as, Bubble Wanda & the 2 faced water weasel trapped inside a fish bowl of primordial ooze, not feeling Soft & fuzzy today and her popular, Inviting my demons to tea. RECEPTION: November 22 from 6-8 p.m.
Click on Image to View: Press Release, Review or Artists Gallery Page
- October 1 thru October 9, 2002 - Jessica Mieles is showing "Landscapes in Season" at Citibank on East 72nd corner of Third Avenue. Gallery Hours: 9-3 pm. RECEPTION: Wednesday, October 9, from 5:30 to 7 pm.
October 3 thru October 15, 2002 - New York Art World.com is showing City Life - An Artist's View at the Cork Gallery at Avery Fisher Hall in Lincoln Center, Broadway at West 65th Street, NYC. Gallery Hours: Sunday thru Saturday from 10am to Closing. RECEPTION: Saturday, October 5, from 4:30 to 6:30 pm.
- October 8 thru 26, 2002 - Sharon Sprung is showing Works on Paper at Gallery Henoch, 555 West 25th Street in Chelsea. The artist writes, "unlike the photograph, a frozen instant, drawing is the synthesis of hours and days of intense observation. It is a meditation, a fascination that casts its bewitching spell - first on the artist - then, the viewer." RECEPTION: Thursday Oct 10 from 6-8 p.m.
- October 10 thru November 9, 2002 - The work of Paul Cadmus on the theme of The Male Nude is being shown at DC Moore Gallery, 724 Fifth Avenue, on the Upper East Side. RECEPTION: Thursday Oct 10 from 6-8 p.m.
Anthony Goicolea presents Second Nature, an Exhibtion at the Rare Gallery, 435 West 14th Street, Chelsea. RECEPTION: Saturday October 12 from 6 to 8 pm
- October 11 thru November 16, 2002 - Chris Finley is showing work at Jack Tilton/Anna Kustera, 49 Greene Street in Soho. RECEPTION: Friday Oct 11 from 6-8 p.m.
- October 14, 2002 - Hoboken Artists Studio Tour - Featuring 100 Artists - Tour Map Available at City Hall, 94 Washington St. EVENT: Sunday October 14 from noon to 6pm.
- October 15 thru November 16, 2002 - The New York Studio School, at 8 West 8th Street, NYC 10011, presents Watercolor, a survey of current use of the medium including over 40 artists: including: Janet Fish, Ken McConney, Robert Rauschenberg, Anna Feld, Al Held, David Salle, Gerhard Richter, Francesco Clemente, Phillip Pearlstein, Dorothea Rockburne. This exhibition challenges received ideas about the nature and practice of the medium. This groundbreaking survey, international in scope and unprejudiced in terms of style, subject matter and genre, reveals the boldness, scale and strident nature of watercolor in current usage. The curators of the show are: David Cohen, Graham Nickson, Susan Shatter. BENEFIT GALA: Monday October 14, 2002.
- October 15 thru November 2, 2002 - Clayton Lewis is showing work at The Prince Street Gallery, 530 West 25th Street, Chelsea, NYC. RECEPTION: Thursday, October 17 from 5-8pm.
- October 16 thru November 16, 2002 - Erik Parker is showing art work at Leo Keonig, 249 Centre Street in Soho.
- October 17 thru November 16, 2002 - The Paul Kasmin Gallery, at 293 10th Ave, NYC 10001, is pleased to announce an exhibition of New Paintings by Walton Ford, who continues to paint powerful images that fuse superb technical draftsmanship with fascinating allegorical narratives. The subject of his most recent watercolors includes the extinct species of Passenger Pigeons, Falling Bough, 2002, depicting hundreds of the once abundant species perched on a bough buckling from their weight. Upon close inspection, each is engaged in the vices often depicted in Breughal paintings. For the first time, Ford deviates from his representations in The Starling, 2002. A grossly overgrown European starling, a bird that has spread to many continents, often driving out native species. The voracious appetite of the bird has rendered the landscape barren as it is being fed by exotic birds from all over the world. Each work is rich in symbolism and often a commentary on history, colonialism and the relationship between man and animal. Hours: Tues thru Sat from 10 - 6pm.
- October 18 thru November 16, 2002 - Jack Shainman Gallery, at 513 West 20th Street in Chelsea, presents Leslie Wayne - Two Years in the World. RECEPTION: Friday October 18, 2002 from 6-8pm.
- October 19, 2002 - Dabora Gallery, at 1080 Manhattan Avenue, (between Eagle and Dupont) in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, NY 11222. Film on View: You are going to die! film/video screening. Special one-night screening hosted by the Brooklyn Underground Film Festival, in conjunction with current exhibition: Mortis Dabora: Tall Tales of Death: group show of over 20 artists including painting, photography, sculpture and installation. Subway: G-Train to Greenpoint Ave. Event: Saturday October 19, 2002 at 8pm
- October 19 thru November 23, 2002 - Cheryl Pelavin Fine Arts, at 13 Jay Street in Tribeca, NYCis showing the work of Mark Katano in Line Drawing: New Painting and Monotypes. RECEPTION : Saturday October 19, 2002 from 1-5pm.
- October 19 thru 26, 2003 - CMG is proud to presents its 4th Young Designers Showcase at Eickholt Gallery, 427 Broadway(between Howard & Canal). Elevator entrance - 45 Howard Street1. This show is beautiful and you should make time to see it. RECEPTION: Every Night from 6pm-8pm.
- October 21 thru October 28, 2003 - Alfredo Cannata will have a show at Collezione Duilio Zanni, Palazzo Della Permanente , Milan, Italy.
- October 24 thru November 20, 2003 - Martin Kline has a show entitled Paintings and Works on Paper, at the Marlborough Gallery, 211 West 19th Street in Chelsea. RECEPTION: Thursday, October 24 from 6-8pm.- October 25 thru November 30, 2003 - Ken McIndoe has Paintings on exhibition, at Gallery Juno, 568 Broadway in Soho. RECEPTION: Friday, October 25 from 6-8pm.
- October 25, 2002 - The Russian-American Cultural Center presents The Annual Gala to celebrate a spirit of revival in New York City, at the Consulate of the Russian Federation, at 9 East 91st Street, NYC. Be part of a magnificent evening of New York Culture. Join us to meet new Rising Stars in Art and Literature. Among those present will be: Regina Khidekel, C. Virginia Fields, Alan Gerson, Vyacheslav Pavlovsky- Consul General of the Russian Federation. Join us for a spectacular award ceremony, concert and reading by rising Russian-born stars in America: Gary Shteyngardt, Philip Quint, Lera Auerbach, Laura Pesce. Presentation of the documentary, In America - The Russian Story featuring: Regina Khidekel, Rustem Galitch, Andrew Eristoff, Audrey Beeber David. Live music and entertainment; a lavish Russian-style buffet and cocktails will be served to our guests. Event: Friday, October 25, 2002 from 6:30 - 10:00pm.
- October 26 thru November 20, 2002 - Tenko Kurosaki is showing Recent Paintings at the Walter Wickiser Gallery, at 568 Broadway, in Soho. The concepts of Positivity, Negativity and Chance were incorporated into his spiritual and artistic paradigm. Kurosaki says "My art starts from the process of denial. I will deny every art-beautiful art, technical art and impact art. I deny my own art. I believe that through this 'denying' process an incredible potentiality exists. 'Denying' leads to infinite creativity." Kurosaki's existential questions are an age-old one and yet they are new: An ongoing endeavor and exploration towards discovering and understanding man's seemingly finite existence within the context of the vast universe. Finite versus infinite infinity within finite. RECEPTION: Saturday Oct 26 from 6-8 p.m.
- October 26, 2002 - The Drawing Centers 25th Anniversary Benefit Selections Exhibition Lottery and Reception will be held at 35 Wooster Street NYC. Event: Saturday, October 26 from 5-7 pm.
- October 30 thru November 27, 2002 - Michael Pelletiere and Anthony Palumbo will be having a Retrospective at The Art Students League of New York, at 215 West 57th Street, NYC 10019. RECEPTION: Tuesday November 12 from 6-8 pm.
- October 30- November 23, 2003 - Photographs, by Robert Irwin, at Paul Sharpe Contemporary Art - PSCA at 86 Walker St, NYC 10013. PSCA is founded on the premise that the artist comes first and is the raison d'être of the art world. The role of the gallerist is to nurture creative accomplishment and to cultivate the collectors and curators who can sustain the artists. The gallery itself is meant to encourage a dialogue in issues in art today and as such is designed as a salon. The concept is a space where artist and art lovers can enjoy fine contemporary art. RECEPTION: Wednesday, October 30, from 6-9pm.
- October 30 thru November 2, 2003 - Lenore Lim will participate in Les Artistes Canadiennes Asiatiques/Asian Canadian Women Artists, at Espace Adagio in Montreal. Countries represented are China, Korea, Japan, Philippines, Indonesia and Canada.
- October 31 thru December 7, 2003 - Galerie Edward Mitterrand is showing the work of Mario Milizia Koka Ramishvili, at 52 rue des Bains, 1205 Genève -T.+41 22 800 27 27. Email @edwardmitterrand.com - www.edwardmitterrand.com. RECEPTION: (VERNISSAGE) JEUDI 31 OCTOBRE 2002 - a partir de 18H (6pm).ve.
Click on Image to View: Press Release, Review or Artists Gallery Page
- September 3 thru 8, 2002 - NewYorkArtWorld.com presents: Night and Day - An Artist's Life. Location: The Broome Street Gallery, 498 Broome Street, New York NY 10013. RECEPTION: Saturday, September 7th, from 6 - 8 pm.
- September 5, 2002 - Geoge A. Rada will be interviewed for the Wigren's Crib TV Show, a Public Access Cable Show. It will be a 1/2 hour retrospective of George Rada's work, as well, as an interview. It will be broadcast on the Wigren's Crib Show. EVENT: Tune in on the broadcast date and time: Thursday night, September 5, at 11pm on public access stations Channels 56 and 108, here in Manhattan.
- September 3 thru 28, 2002 - The Blue Mountain Gallery presents: Paintings by Owen Gray. Location: 530 West 25th Street, New York NY 10001. Gallery hours: Tue thru Sat from 11-6 pm. RECEPTION: Thursday, September 5th, from 5 - 8 pm.
- September 1 thru 30, 2002 - 55 Mercer Gallery, in Soho, presents: Creative Independents - Paintings by Peter Schwarzburg and, Ronnie DeNota. Location: 55 Mercer Street, New York NY 10013. RECEPTION: Thursday, September 5th, from 6 - 8 pm.
- September 18 thru October 20, 2002 - John Hampshire, Large Paintings, at the Main Street Gallery, 26 Main Street, Dobbs Ferry NY. RECEPTION: Sunday, September 22nd, at 5pm.
- September 19 thru October 1, 2002 - The Street Painters, Annual Show, at the Cork Gallery, at Avery Fisher Hall at Lincoln Center Plaza. View New Work by Ronald De Nota, and Myron Heise. RECEPTION: Saturday, September 21, 4-6 pm.
- September 11 thru October 2, 2002 - Vintage New York - Art Exhibit at the Oakeside Bloomfield Cultural Center, in Bloomfield NJ, pays tribute to New York on the Anniversary of September 11 and will be available for loan after October 2, 2002. The exhibition is about New York City's history in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Vintage New York consists of over a hundred scenes of the city's people, places and events in its history since 1898 - when its five boroughs were joined into one city. It deals with the tragedies of New York's past as well as with the quiet places where city dwellers go to find refuge from the hectic pace of urban living. Before 9/11/01, this show might have been looked upon as simply another collection of interesting and nostalgic scenes of New York. Today, it takes on greater significance, as the entire country and most of the world still mourns the deaths of thousands of it's citizens and the savage obliteration of one of the youngest of it's architectural landmarks, itself less than a half-century old. Vintage New York is an attempt to bring to light once again an aspect of nostalgic New York which survives today only in small part, whether in architecture or in spirit - to preserve the memory of a time almost forgotten - which may well prove a haven for many of us who rush into uncertain futures . RECEPTION: Sunday, September 22nd from 1 to 3 pm.
- September 22 thru November 23, 2002 - STAG Art Gallery, on Manhattan's Lower East Side, will host a preview of its new art gallery located at 71 Clinton Street, NYC 10002. STAG Art's first show includes abstract works by Saundra Schwartzkopf and surreal still life by Ginger Fox. STAG Art is among many young businesses transforming the traditional immigrant areas of the Lower East Side into New York City's newest destination neighborhood. RECEPTION: Sunday, September 22, 2002 from 11am to 7pm.
- September 27 thru October 26, 2002 - Francois Nugues is showing Paintings, in a show entitled Etats D'Art, at the Galerie Guislain, 35 rue Guenegaud, 75006 Paris. Gallery hours: Wed thru Sat from 10h30 - 13h / 14h - 19h30. Telephone: 01 53 10 15 75. RECEPTION: Thursday, September 26 at 18h.
- September 28 thru October 24, 2002 - Irma Gilgore is showing Fragments and Fragmentations Paintings and Drawings, in a show entitled Beyond the Fragment, at the Walter Wickiser Gallery, 568 Broadway, New York NY 10012. RECEPTION: Saturday, October 5, from 6 to 8 pm.
|New York Art World ® - Artists|
Back to Top